Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Food Investigation Continues: Supermarket Edition

SUPERMARKETS 

My birthday is coming up, and I have my special day on the brain.  So while in Morrison’s today, I couldn’t help but look over the shelf of elaborate, pre-made birthday cakes.  After all, if your roommate doesn't come home to find you've polished off an entire Dora the Explorer cake by yourself, is it even your birth month?

As I pried myself away from the sweet selection, I remembered the first time that I saw a shelf of these themed birthday cakes in a London food store.  I was at a Marks and Spencer here in Camden when I first arrived back in January, and my American friends and I were taken by surprise with a collective “Wooow.  

The fondant cakes with fancy designs reminded me of something I’d have to wait in a line for and buy behind a bakery counter in the States.  Here in London, I can pick up 5-tiered cakes and fly through self check-out without encountering any humans at all!  In fact, all of the London grocery stores I’ve been to have an easy-access, boxed cake shelf.


I’m not sure exactly how much cultural value lies in this observation, besides maybe that Londoners aren’t as easily fascinated by fondant cakes as Americans. (Fondant cakes excite me, and by this, I am not ashamed!)  Either way, it is intriguing to see even the small differences within the grocery shopping experience.

Additional note: Marks and Spencer has a full apparel store??


"Party cakes" section of Morrison's in Camden

No comments:

Post a Comment